Friday 20 March 2015

Myra's Ruru

This morning Myra brought in this beautiful Morepork (Ruru) which unfortunately swooped down and flew into her window at home.  It really made me think how precious our native birds are.  I know that lots of New Zealand's native birds are under threat and many are very close to extinction.  I am very proud that at Waipahihi School we trying to bring back the 'bird song'. 
It was such a privilege to see the Ruru close up and touch it's delicate feathers.  I am left wondering... I wonder how many Ruru are left in New Zealand?  I wonder how you tell the difference between a male and a female?  Does anyone know the answers to my wonderings....

1 comment:

  1. You should ask the kids in Room 19/20 as they are making cool animal cards like the countdown ones. They might know!

    ReplyDelete